15:04:20 <robjo> #startmeeting project meeting
15:04:20 <bugbot> Meeting started Wed May  1 15:04:20 2013 UTC.  The chair is robjo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
15:04:20 <bugbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
15:04:57 <robjo> Hi everyone, welcome to the project meeting
15:05:31 <robjo> The agenda can be found here: http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Project_meeting
15:06:20 <robjo> roll call for the board: FunkyPenguin, Ilmehtar,
15:06:32 * Ilmehtar is here
15:07:09 <robjo> vuntz: ping
15:07:20 <FunkyPenguin> robjo: im somehwat here
15:07:36 <robjo> Lets get rolling
15:08:25 <robjo> AFAIK there was no meeting last time and I do not recall any action items from the meeting prior
15:08:46 <robjo> thus we can get right to the next item GSoC
15:08:55 <robjo> #topic GSoC
15:09:11 <robjo> saurabhsood91: manugupt1 ping
15:09:22 <manugupt1> I am here
15:09:34 <robjo> manugupt1: update on GSoC?
15:10:02 <manugupt1> robjo: Everything is going smooth I believe, proposals are pouring in but not for all of the ideas I guess
15:10:10 <saurabhsood91> robjo: here...
15:10:31 <manugupt1> I think it should be a healthy mixture of openSUSE, Hedgewars and ownCloud this time.
15:10:48 <saurabhsood91> manugupt1: all mentor's have registered right?
15:10:52 <manugupt1> saurabhsood91: I think so
15:11:02 <manugupt1> I am not sure, cannot you see the name of the mentors?
15:11:36 <manugupt1> One question I had was
15:12:02 <manugupt1> I have noticed that students from same institurions have similar ideas to my proposal, how do I go about it
15:12:41 <manugupt1> Is it plagiarism or ideas taken during discussion or anythinng like that
15:13:18 <manugupt1> How do I identify who is a more prospective student in that case
15:13:21 <Ilmehtar> what are Google's rules on it? do all GSoC projects need to be original ideas?
15:13:35 <manugupt1> Ilmehtar: Nothing like that.. GSoC leaves the discretion to mentors
15:13:39 <manugupt1> and org admins
15:13:54 <robjo> There is probably no way for you to find out
15:14:11 <cboltz> manugupt1: I wouldn't call it plagiarism (unless it is very obvious copy&paste, of course)
15:14:21 <manugupt1> cboltz: Well Idea is copy and paste
15:14:32 <manugupt1> in atleast one of the proposal
15:15:02 <robjo> You may just have to have an e-mail or IRC conversation with each student and then go with your gut-feel
15:15:24 <manugupt1> ok.
15:16:03 <cboltz> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/aatif1992/1#c1001
15:16:03 <robjo> when is our next deadline?
15:16:11 <manugupt1> One more thing, if students do not submit their proposals on mmelange they are not eligible for gsoc 3rd May
15:16:22 <cboltz> has a private comment asking for the mentor - but AFAIK private comments are not visible to the students
15:16:36 <cboltz> I doubt this was intentional...
15:16:51 <manugupt1> cboltz: This was no :/
15:17:12 <robjo> manugupt1: saurabhsood91 could you update the wiki and in bold letters add the May 3rd deadline?
15:17:28 <manugupt1> However the proposal is of no good quality and no mentor, I would like to ask the mentors here, can I mark it as invalid
15:17:41 <saurabhsood91> robjo: will do that
15:18:22 <manugupt1> koda: by the way you are on gsoc-mentor@opensuse.org right?
15:18:40 <manugupt1> gsoc-mentors*
15:18:41 <cboltz> manugupt1: I agree - the idea sounds "a bit"[tm] crazy and isn't really well-defined, so I'm fine with the "invalid" mark
15:18:46 <koda> i think not, i'm on official google MLs though
15:18:46 <saurabhsood91> manugupt1: two such proposals right?
15:19:00 <manugupt1> saurabhsood91: I dont think so
15:19:15 <manugupt1> koda: You can subscribe it there.. no spam I assure you
15:19:44 <manugupt1> thats it from my side..
15:19:57 <koda> there = where?
15:20:02 <manugupt1> koda: on the mailing list
15:20:12 <cboltz> I'd guess gsoc-mentor+subscribe@opensuse.org ;-)
15:20:26 <manugupt1> :)
15:20:38 <manugupt1> saurabhsood91: Ah.. I know about the second one you are talking about
15:20:53 <manugupt1> This is a different proposal
15:20:57 <manugupt1> And a very good one
15:21:00 <saurabhsood91> We can mark them as invalid I think
15:21:02 <manugupt1> I believe but it has no mentor
15:21:09 <saurabhsood91> Oh... Ok
15:21:19 <cboltz> (and I'm also just subscribing - I'm in concact with a student that is willing to write new AppArmor profile development tools)
15:21:22 <saurabhsood91> I may not have checked that one
15:21:26 <manugupt1> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/nuk/1
15:21:45 <saurabhsood91> I will check it as soon as I get back
15:21:49 <koda> thx :p
15:21:49 <manugupt1> Or were you talking about this one http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/olkordy/9001 ?
15:21:54 <manugupt1> GRUB
15:22:41 <manugupt1> I think 2nd one can also be ignored as it was discussed in ML and the idea was already there I believe
15:23:04 <zimba12> ownCloud mentors started to review and score proposals
15:23:17 <manugupt1> zimba12: Yes.. we can also start that I guess
15:23:32 <zimba12> cool
15:23:51 <zimba12> so far everything smooth
15:24:02 <manugupt1> zimba12: I hope it remains that way :)
15:24:22 <saurabhsood91> so far so good...
15:24:24 <manugupt1> Thats it from our side I guess
15:24:39 <manugupt1> We can move to the next topic if we have no questions
15:24:59 <cboltz> a question about reviewing the proposals:
15:25:04 <manugupt1> cboltz: yes
15:25:21 <cboltz> should every mentor review all proposals (even on topics not in his "area")?
15:25:24 <robjo> manugupt1: saurabhsood91 when you get a chance can you look at my status, while I am a mentor, supposedly in the system, I cannot see any of the proposals you linked....
15:25:29 <cboltz> or just the proposals he's going to mentor?
15:26:14 <manugupt1> cboltz: I think it will be difficult to mentor each and everyone. So a mentor can review only his and ask for help in case he needs some.
15:26:28 <manugupt1> from other mentors
15:26:41 <manugupt1> robjo: I will see that
15:26:57 <saurabhsood91> robjo: will check it out
15:27:46 <manugupt1> zimba12: koda does that sound good to you guys?
15:28:23 <robjo> it appears to me that all mentors should at least briefly review all proposals and then score them
15:28:42 <zimba12> manugupt1: I don't feel like I could review a proposal outside owncloud
15:29:32 <koda> yeah maybe the review of other proposals could be left optional
15:30:15 <manugupt1> One question I had was suppose openSUSE guys reviewed  ownCloud / hedgewars proposal, is that a problem, as robjo said he might want to review and score
15:30:22 <manugupt1> some others might feel so too
15:30:42 <saurabhsood91> How about owncloud all owncloud mentor's score all owncloud projects and so on?
15:31:07 <manugupt1> saurabhsood91: Lets not complicate it... i think it should be optional
15:31:24 <saurabhsood91> Ok...
15:31:55 <robjo> what I meant was that all openSUSE mentors should review all openSUSE proposals
15:31:58 <zimba12> i think mentors should review and score whatever they feel comfortable with, that's it
15:32:31 <robjo> it it not reasonable to expect other orgs to review our proposals or that openSUSE mentors would review ownCloud proposals
15:33:08 <zimba12> robjo: indeed
15:33:15 <saurabhsood91> that was what I meant too...
15:33:37 * manugupt1 got confused I guess then
15:34:54 <zimba12> manugupt1: it's easy, let's do what suggested by gsoc itself and what other orgs do. If the mentor feels confident to review, he should, otherwise not
15:35:04 <manugupt1> +1 to zimba12
15:35:12 <manugupt1> I agree with zimba12
15:35:30 <saurabhsood91> +1
15:36:16 <manugupt1> Any other thing to be discussed
15:38:23 <manugupt1> robjo: We are done I guess
15:39:08 <robjo> OK
15:39:36 <robjo> #topic new ideas
15:40:05 <robjo> Anything?
15:40:48 <manugupt1> robjo: I would like to discuss the possibilit oSC14
15:40:56 <manugupt1> in India
15:41:00 <robjo> #topic anything else
15:41:25 <manugupt1> We have a plausible location and some volunteers, but we are not sure about sponsorship
15:42:20 <robjo> manugupt1: hmmm, at this point the guidelines state "A location in Europe"
15:42:48 <robjo> this can of course be changed, but possibly will require a lengthy discussion
15:43:43 <manugupt1> robjo: Hmm.. yeah
15:43:45 <robjo> however, if you have a place and volunteers I would encourage you to send a proposal to the board list
15:44:08 <manugupt1> robjo: The openSUSE Conference is located in Europe missed that
15:44:10 <manugupt1> robjo: Will do that
15:44:25 <robjo> Another option may be to have a "openSUSE Summit Asia"
15:44:46 <manugupt1> robjo: oSC 13 because that would garner more help for us
15:44:57 <manugupt1> and we will need it...
15:45:06 <manugupt1> And yes people are enthusiastic about it too
15:45:58 <manugupt1> robjo: will send the board a mail
15:46:15 <manugupt1> thats it.. I guess
15:46:23 <robjo> manugupt1: thanks, you will get help for organizing a Summit as well
15:46:41 <robjo> Any other topics?
15:47:27 <robjo> OK, that's it then
15:47:39 <robjo> #info 2.5 board members present
15:48:01 <saurabhsood91> Lol
15:48:04 <robjo> thanks everyone for participating
15:48:12 <robjo> #endmeeting